Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beauty & Ice

A couple of you have asked what lens I purchased. So here it is:

After much debate on this one and another I made my final decision based upon what I would use most. Originally I wanted my next lens to be a zoom lens. But I realized how rarely I would use a zoom. So that will come at a later date (along with my growing wants list). For now I'm enjoying being able to take much more fast, clear, and crisp photos even in lower light situations. Not to mention the depth of field is awesome, and the price for it's ability is superb!

Anyway, I wanted to post my Touch Up Tuesday photo. I took it this morning. We had an ice storm that left behind weighted down trees, slick roads and sidewalks, and icicles. Joy. I managed to get a quick shot of the icicles hanging off our bench before running off to work .

SOOC:
DSC_0102

EDIT:
DSC_0102cL

My Touch Up:
Cropped. Adjusted Layers. Up'd the brightness (+15) & contrast (+30) Brightened the white using color replacement. Used high pass filter with soft blending mode of 35% opacity. Ran P&W's B&W Beauty. Adjusted the B&W down to 65% opacity and the bump to 60%. Used unsharp mask at 29% opacity.

I think I like it. I could do a million edits and I'm sure one would turn out better but that's all I have time for this evening so I'll stick with it :)

Touch Up Tuesday's at the Paper Mama

17 comments:

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Nice choice on that lens!! You will love it. And such a cool picture! Love the edit! :)

m&msmommy said...

LOVE the picture (however, I did NOT love our morning ice storm, UGH! :) I'm so glad you got the picture issue resolved. I thought maybe I was the only one, so I didn't want to say anything! :)

Ashley Sisk said...

Great choice on the lens and I love your edit.

Unknown said...

love the muted hues!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Oh I love your photos!

Ashley said...

Ooh I love it. I'm just learning about editing so all those steps are intimidating! I hope I can figure it out. I bet the new lens is awesome! I have a 50mm and sometimes wish it was a 35mm.

Michelle R said...

Great edit - and sooc shot, too! I tried taking some icicle shots and just didn't really like them... maybe if I try editing them a bit that might help... :)

Amy Nielson said...

wooooooooaaaah. just reading that edit makes me realize i have a LOT to learn about photoshop. your edit looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

How exciting is it to get a new lens (or any new camera-related things!)?!

Love both the sooc and edit ♥

Anonymous said...

yay for the 35mm. Great edit!

Unknown said...

LOOKS great!!!!!!! :)

I am looking at lenses & I am going with the 50mm 1. 4! I am waiting and anticipating it!!! I can't wait!

Katie said...

This is beautiful - LOVE love love your edit!! And congrats on the new, fun lens! :)

Mrs. Werginz said...

Love the edit! Girl...you are doing some amazing things with photos!

nicole. said...

Im jealous. I have been debating and debating on what to buy next... I recently purchased my first DLSR!!!! Originally I thought I would get a 50mm, but I heard it will not auto focus with my camera... so I was gonna go with the one you just bought.

Do you love it already?

MandeeFoFandee said...

awesome choice with the lens! I love my fixed lens, but I need to keep practicing with it... it definitely takes some getting used to after shooting with a zoom lens for so long!

Shay said...

I love icicles! Great job!

Kat said...

NICE! I think I want one of these next year too. Maybe my bday

Related Posts with Thumbnails